TRICKY TRICKY


Labels are tricky things. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sometimes lulled into buying something with LIGHT or LOW FAT or SUGAR FREE labels without first checking the ingredient list. Because you know, we like to believe we'll have a summer body straight after eating that shizz. 

This was exactly what happened yesterday evening when I was shopping for food to meal prep. 

Picked up 2 tins of tuna flakes in water from the same brand at the supermarket. One had a LIGHT label stamped on the front, while the other was just regular tuna in mineral water. Normally, I gravitate toward LIGHT labels, but because I'm on the program, I need to be aware of everything that passes my mouth, I took an extra minute to read the fine print. 

To my surprise, the LIGHT version listed minced wild caught tuna, water, vegetable extracts and salt as ingredients.

The regular version listed just tuna and water. Plain Jane as can be and just the thing I need. 

I mean, what on earth does "vegetable extracts" even mean? A veggie bouillon cube? Celery powder? Flecks of onion and garlic flavoring? Who even knows?

So the moral of the story is: Read your labels and don't be fooled by LOW FAT or LIGHT versions of foods, which are very likely to contain tons of sugar or additives to make up for the lack of taste or texture. 

PSA over.

Comments

Popular Posts