THE BEAUTY OF HAVING NO CHOICE


I've always been a person who wholeheartedly believed that the more choice you have, the better. I mean, don't they always say variety is the spice of life?

But 10 days into this nutrition program and I'm surprisingly enjoying the freedom of having limited choices of what I eat. 

It's not about me getting used to eating the same 3 meal plans on repeat. Lbr; I definitely miss having fruit and all the little snacks I used to not think twice about reaching for. And I definitely crave fries - my favorite indulgence in this lifetime.

It's also not about me getting used to meal prepping more efficiently. I am; but I for sure could use another pair of robotic hands to help me chop that mountain of vegetables I'm dealing with every other day.

But it's more like the freedom to do other things when decision fatigue over what I eat gets eliminated by a structured plan.

I never realized so much of my life was consumed by thinking about what to eat, discussing where to go for lunch or exploring menus of restaurants to decide if they were deserving of a visit. WAY too much time for someone who is definitely not a gourmand and who more often than not, eats just to live.

So it's been really nice having that crazy myriad of choices taken away from me and not having to grapple with having the whole universe of food at my fingertips. Instead of walking around for a good 20 minutes trying to decide where to go for lunch, I get to listen to a podcast. Before a gathering last Wednesday where it was BYOD, I had a good 40 minutes to kill, so instead of trawling the endless maze of food choices in Wanchai, I went for a well-deserved manicure sesh.

Nights are the best. If it's not meal prep night (another story altogether that I don't love so much), then all I have to do is heat up my meal and then I'm all set to boogie. I've read the most I have in months (currently ploughing through Jodi Picoult's Small Great Things, which I 10/10 would recommend), watched so many more interesting documentaries and finally got back into Designated Survivor - the perfect Netflix-and-chill arrangement with the husband. 

I guess I just didn't realize how much time making food decisions was taking up, and I've really been enjoying more me-time and us-time, now that that factor has been taken away. 

So much more to life than food.

Comments

Popular Posts