CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE


Cauliflower is an amazing gift from the heavens. After falling out of love with its close cousin Broccoli, Cauli is now my homie.

Seriously, the things you can do with cauliflower! I've been using my food processor to turn it into rice (pretty much the only thing I dislike about cauliflower, because, have you tried washing your food processor?) and I've been having it with just about anything I can. Paired with shrimp and pea curry, as a partner to enjoy my favorite seafood stew with and now... in fried rice!

Rach has ventured into the land of cauliflower pizza crust, but alas I am too damn lazy to use cheese cloth to squeeze the living daylights out of the caulirice, so I shall just stick to using it as rice. Which is good enough for me.

Cauli fried rice is such a great thing to meal prep because you can pretty much sub in any ingredient you like and just toss it all up in a wok. I used PAM oil spray for this to lower the fat content since I was using salmon, which is a pretty fatty fish, but you can drizzle in some sesame oil and it will be even yummier. I also used tamari instead of soy sauce because I don't have a sugar-free version of the latter at home, but it worked just fine!

Salmon, mushroom and egg cauliflower fried rice
(Makes 5 servings) 

Ingredients:
- 2 large heads of cauliflower (large stem removed)
- 600g chopped skinless Norwegian salmon
- 600g chopped mushrooms
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- Toasted garlic flakes (quantity to taste, but you can substitute with fried fresh garlic too)
- 6 tbsps tamari (I used Meridien's Free-From Tamari)
- White pepper
- 1/2 chopped white onion
- PAM oil spray

Method:
1. Chop the cauliflower into small florets and use a food processor to turn it into caulirice. (I recommend doing this in batches so you get even-sized grains). Set aside.
2. In a wok or pan, use PAM spray to grease and pour in the eggs to fry. Set aside. 
3. Use PAM spray to grease pan and fry the chopped onions until soft. Add some garlic flakes and stirfry until aromatic. 
4.  Add in salmon. 
5. Before the salmon turns flaky, add in the chopped mushrooms and stirfry. There will be a lot of liquid released from the mushrooms at this point, so remove as much liquid as you can. 
6. Add in the caulirice and give it a good stir until all ingredients are evenly mixed. Turn heat down. 
7. Add in tamari and season with white pepper and garlic flakes. 
8. Add in chopped fried eggs and mix everything together well.

Et voila!

So much yum! And I feel like I'm eating real rice grains too so that's a real win!

Comments

Popular Posts