HOLA 2018!


So it's a little overdue for a real Let's-start-the-new-year-with-a-bang type resolution, since we're already almost into the second month of 2018, but I'm going to hang tight to the wise adage that says it's never too late to drop everything, wipe the slate clean and start, or restart, RIGHT NOW.

2017 was a great year for my fitness journey. I traded in my running shoes and cardio bunny status for a lot more weight and met con training, saw gains and definition I'd never once thought possible, and challenged myself like never before. I work out hard 6 days a week, hike on Saturdays and then I rest on Sundays. I learned to both push my body and also listen to it, incorporating much-needed rest as a part of my workout regime. This kid wisened up a lot more and realized there is so much more to fitness than running or doing a 1.5-hour stint on the elliptical. I still like running; it's just not the only gold standard for sweat. 

But alas, it's true when they say abs are made in the kitchen and I didn't quite put this same dedication where my mouth is (literally).

In 2017, it was yoyo infinitimus on the nutrition front. I'd be really consistent with healthy and balanced eating for a month, accidentally (yeah right) make a cheat day a cheat week, and then before long, it would be a month and then some, of full-on bingeing. 

So my RIGHT NOW moment is going to be squarely reserved to target what goes in the kitchen and what goes into my mouth. Come January 29, I'll be starting on a 12-week nutrition and lifestyle coaching program with my gym, and believe me when I say this will be the thing that will truly whip my behind into shape. 

I definitely gulped when I saw the program schedule and widened my eyes in sheer amazement at my girlfriends who did the program last September (What?? No fruit for the first FOUR WEEKS? What the....!), but I know that nothing worth having ever comes easy. 

For me, it's rebuilding my relationship with food and nutrition, reclaiming balance and finding a sustainable lifestyle that I can keep up. I love the "start hard, finish easy" philosophy the program embodies, accelerating the process with the tough shit right at the beginning, but increasing calories (and carbs, thank you lawwwd!) at the end to guide us back into regular eating and real life. 

I won't lie and say I'm not panicking at some moments now, with just 10 more days to eat all the damn sugar and fries I want (Just kidding. Or lbr, am I really....?), but if there's one thing this Type A girl can do well, it's following a schedule to a T when there's a target in my mind. And what better thing to go along with all these tough-times-don't-last tough-people-do shenanigans than a blog to chronicle all of it? 

Afterall, if I'm less than social and one grumpy puss (if we're friends, I beg your forgiveness in advance) during these 12 weeks, at least you'll be able to read and know why. Or laugh at me. Or cheer me on. Or wonder what in the world I was thinking when I got myself into this. Or quite possibly, all of the above.

Comments

Popular Posts